Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was staying overnight in a hotel with my partner. We were

Customer Question

I was staying overnight in a hotel with my partner. We were on separate work nights out and I arrived back to the hotel before her, went to bed and fell asleep. She has not yet been to the hotel and had forgotten the room number. She asked the desk clerk for the room number but he refused as her name was not on the booking. After several calls from her to my mobile I awoke to come down and meet her. Upon meeting her she was quite upset at her perceived rude treatment and would rather leave. I went up stairs, still quite drunk to get our things and fell into the towel rack radiator. This caused damage and the room began to flood. I tried to push/pull the radiator back into place but this did not help the situation. I quickly gathered our things and returned to reception. I failed to notify of the damage immediately and checked out. Whilst checking out, reception received a call of water leaking through the ceiling and the police were called regarding criminal damage. I complied fully with the police and gave statement and provided my fingerprints for them being found on the towel rack. Now they are stating that the damage is circa €15,000 and are refusing to use their insurance to pay for it as they believe I did it on purpose.
Can you advise me what my are options, next steps and likely outcomes of this case? Will I be expected to cover the full €15,000?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Are you in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I'm in the republic of Ireland.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
I will move this for you to our Eire section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I'm willing to wait another couple of days, if still no luck i may contact a solicitor directly for legal advice.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hello Stuart,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello Stuart,
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Hello Stuart,
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I appreciate the effort. You can close the question.

Stuart