Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

just wondered if my wife of 8 years is entitled to a share

Customer Question

hi just wondered if my wife of 8 years is entitled to a share of my farm ...considering that I owned it 10 years prior to our marriage
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

1. I regret to say that your wife is entitled to make a claim to ALL your assets upon divorce, including your farm, so as to make "proper provision" for her needs. There is no rule of law that land is excluded. Nor is there any rule of law that just because your owned an asset, such as a farm, for 10 years before marriage, that it is not available to make any order the court should choose. So the court will take all your assets into account in deciding what is the appropriate order to be made. This includes your farm, even though you have owned it for 10 years before marriage.