Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

an un marked police speed detection van parked in among other

Customer Question

an un marked police speed detection van parked in among other parked vehicles in a location not defined or denoted as a speed van detection location but subject to a 50kmh restriction in a city area detects a private coach travelling at 59kmh (less than 6 miles per hour over the limit) on a weekday morning where traffic is light. the consequence for the driver of the bus whose was returned by the bus company is a fine of €80 and 3 penalty points attached for a period of 3 yrs.... seems severe in the circumstances for a person who drives for a living... another 3 detections in a three year period means disqualification.
I live in Ireland ... will your advice be relevant in ireland
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I need a reply in the next day or so as the time to pay or go to court is imminent. I understand there may be case on law on the issue in that the inconsistency of the application of the law ( marked vans in identified locations) and the surreptitious nature of the detection is unfair in the context of the consequences. on this occasion the location was not identified as a non-intercept speed detection location. If you are unable to assist by close of business tomorrow I will cancel my requestion.

Many thanks Mick - I think a decision around this issue could be very siginifcant on a national basis

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cancel my request and thank you - no charge I understand.

many thanks Mick XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I note that my visa has bee debited the sum €45 which I understood is only chargeable if happy with the advice provided. can you review my case and refund the money as no expert was sourced to assist me. Thank you for your time and indeed I would have every confidence in your service. Kindly review please