Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My husband's parents did not leave a will. Co Carlow is the

Customer Question

My husband's parents did not leave a will. Co Carlow is the home place.
There were 10 children, now 8 surviving. The family home has recently become vacant. What are our rights, or our children's rights to the Estate, and is there a time frame for when we should put in a claim?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we have time to wait. Nothing urgent right now, just sussing out the legalities about things. We await hearing from you again.

Margaret

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We await hearing from you when you can.

Margaret

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Thank you again.

I would like to keep my question open, but I have just noticed that another payment will be due on 23rd April. I must say, that I had expected my one question to be answered for the payment I have made already so, I'm disappointed. If this is not possible on here.it would most likely be more cost effective for us to take a trip to Ireland and speak to a land/house/inheritance specialist solicitor directly, rather than continue to make indefinite payments on here, for no guaranteed answer.

With regards

Margaret XXXXX

Hello Margaret,
I will pass this on to Customer Support for you and they will sort out the ongoing payment issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thank you.

I will continue to keep my question open here for now, if that's OK. but I do not intend to pay any more money without an answer to my first question. I'm sure you'll understand that that is fair.

Best regards

Margaret XXXXX

Hello Margaret.
Of course, you should not have to pay any more charges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Nicola

Tbh, I didn't expect my question to be so difficult for you all.

As I explained previously, I do not intend to make any further payment, and you have agreed with me that it's fair. Nevertheless, should I hear from you in the near future that you have found someone who can answer my question, I will be very pleased to further our conversation. Otherwise, I'm afraid that this will be the end of our communication with you. I will take it on board as another learning curve in my life.

Feeling disappointed.

Best regards

Margaret Doyle

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Your husband or one of his brother and sisters should take out letters of administration to the estates of his parents so as to administer the assets of their estates including the family home. This would enable the family home to be sold and the proceeds divided among the surviving 8 children. None of the children, including your husband, has any automatic entitlement to the house or to occupy it. So now that the house is unoccupied, it should be sold and the proceeds divided. Or one child could buy out the other seven brothers and sisters, as part of the probate process. Probate is necessary in order to give a good title to whoever buys it. Without good title, no one will want to buy the house.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

You have answered my question perfectly.

Best regards

Margaret Doyle

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Dear *****, Please RATE the Answer. This is necessary so that the Expert gets paid by the website.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent