Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partner owns a property in Ireland but we live in uk. A

Customer Question

My partner owns a property in Ireland but we live in uk. A neighbour in Ireland has reported 10 young people, under 18, are on my property (without my permission) & causing disturbance & attempting to gain access to my property, although it is boarded up. The Guards have visited several times to get rid of the kids but say they can't do anything as they're under-18! The neighbour knows the names of the kids.
What is the law for dealing with these kids and/or parents? Does Ireland have anything like an Anti-Social Behavior Order to deal with young people?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. In Ireland the Criminal Justice Act, 2006, provides for a similar scheme of ASBOs as exists in the UK. So you should point this fact out to the Gardai and ask them to serve notices upon each of the juveniles and their parents. In the Act, there is specific provision for dealing with juveniles or people under 18. Essentially, you can get notices served excluding these young people from the property and preventing them from going near it again. Penalties in default can include custody in a young person's unit. It is not true to say the Gardai can do nothing because the people are under 18.