Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

There , i gave birth to my son in America but his dad is

Customer Question

HI there , i gave birth to my son in America but his dad is Irish and resides in ireland. we are not married and have never lived together .i am enquiring to what entitlements i can get from the father of my child?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there I am an American citizen and my child was born in the USA and has American citizenship but the father is Irish and will not pay anything towards the upkeep of his child .. Can I force through the American courts or the Irish courts to pay maintenance
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Hello, you can certainly gain a maintenance order from an Irish court if this Irish citizen father is living in Ireland. This will be at the rate of 14% of the father's net after tax income. Accordingly, if the father was earning 90,000 euros before tax and 60,000 after tax, then the father would be obligated to pay 8,400 euros per annum or 700 euros per month in maintenance payments in respect of his child. In your question, you don't say where the father is living, but the situation is the same if the father is living anywhere in the EU. So you can make an application for maintenance in an Irish court. GEt a solicitor to help you. Be aware that the maintenance order will last until the child is 18 or until the child finishes university. The wages of the father can be attached to pay the maintenance. It makes no difference that the child might have been born in America or might live there the rules still apply. Be aware additionally that your child is entitled to Irish citizenship because he has an Irish father.