Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I lived in Belgium years, from 1995 to 2010.

Customer Question

Hello, I lived in Belgium for 15 years, from 1995 to 2010. In 2007 I bought an apartment, which I then had to sell in 2009, as I lost my job. The bank refused me permission to sell in the market place as they did not think the offer I received was high enough, and the bank then took over the sale - selling at en even lower price. The bank has been writing to me, with very long intervals of maybe once a year, since i left Belgium trying to recover some €41k they claim I owe them. I have consistently replied that I am not nor have been in a position to repay them. Since I lost my job, the result of a major mental breakdown, I have spent almost two years undergoing therapy and two years on income support. I live with my aunt and I am slowly beginning to look around for a proper job. A full five years have now passed since the apartment was sold by the bank, and I received yesterday an email, in French, from a debt collection agency looking for the amount due, and stating that they will take same from my salary. I am wondering, to what extent a Belgian bank can tap into an Irish salary for debts relating to a Belgian debt? And, is there a limitation on the length this debt can be pursued? Thank you if you can be of assistance to me. David XXX

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, Ok, I'll wait a little longer. David

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, please.

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nicola, yes, please close the query and refund the money.

David XXX