Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I work in shop and was handed a lost wallet witch seemed

Customer Question

Hi I work in shop and was handed a lost wallet witch seemed empty to me but bank cards and drivers licence any way refund it to owner next day but seems large sum money missing so I'd man who hand in wallet but he claiming money in it when he he and it in ware do I stand
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. You basically owe this person nothing more than to tell the truth, which you have done. It was an act of kindness returning the wallet. But basically, in law, this person has a duty to look after their own possessions. They cannot hold anyone else liable where their possessions such as a wallet goes missing and turns up again with some of the possessions lost or damaged. So you have no obligation to this person. No liability attaches to a good samaritan who returns lost property. So you should realise you have no liability in law and realise also that it was you who did the good deed and returned the wallet.