Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Have split with partner after 19 years who has two houses

Hi Have split with partner after 19 years who has two houses with one fully paid for. I have paid mirtgage and all bills for my house .He got some food. Can he look for half my house.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Can you provide more information. Were you married or were you cohabiting? How many houses are there altogether and in whose name(s) are they? Who paid the mortgage on each house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am divorced and remorgaged 22 years ago to buy my husband out.House in my name and Partner and I were cohabiting .I have always paid the mortgage on my house My partner had his own house which was fully paid for when I met him. he then bought another house with 100 percent mortgage during the boom . He ran into trouble when he retired 5 years ago with mortgage payments and tax payments I also had his son who had problems rent free for 4 years ..Both houses are rented out this past 6 or 7 years to pay his mortgage which is in his name.I have paid all the bills Tony got some food weekly but that was it.As we split and had to contact garda re harrassment am concerened on my position here Many thanks Helen

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Orser number is ***** Have provided more details as requested
am divorced and remorgaged 22 years ago to buy my husband out.House in my name and Partner and I were cohabiting .I have always paid the mortgage on my house My partner had his own house which was fully paid for when I met him. he then bought another house with 100 percent mortgage during the boom . He ran into trouble when he retired 5 years ago with mortgage payments and tax payments I also had his son who had problems rent free for 4 years ..Both houses are rented out this past 6 or 7 years to pay his mortgage which is in his name.I have paid all the bills Tony got some food weekly but that was it.As we split and had to contact garda re harrassment am concerened on my position here Many thanks Helen

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Dear *****, as far as cohabiting partners are concerned, it is only payments directly related to mortgage repayments which count when determining who owns a property. So here you own your own home free and clear and your partner has no lawful claim on it. Similarly, he owns his mortgaged house and his own house you refer to. So the bot***** *****ne is he cannot claim for half your house.