Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Iwish to leave my property a house who has lived with

Customer Question

Iwish to leave my property
a house who has lived with me sine the age of 12 and is now 32 what inheritance tax does he have to pay
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. There is the potential here to not pay any Capital Acquisitions Tax at all on the dwelling. This if this person who has lived with you continues to live in the house for six years after you die and if he has cared for you whilst you were alive. Here is a connection to the website of the Revenue which sets out the details. The requirement to live in the house for three years before you die has already been fulfilled. So if s/he can take themselves within its terms, no tax is payable. Here is the link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html