Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a house sitter that used to pay a nominal rent but doesn't

I have a house sitter that used to pay a nominal rent but doesn't anymore due to going back to college - can she establish squatter's rights if she stays long term?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Your housesitter would have to be in occupation for in excess of 12 years and to have barred you and anyone she didn't want from accessing the house for that 12 year period in order to maintain a claim for squatter's rights. So until such times as the house sitter starts barring you or your agent from your own house, you have nothing to worry about. So there is little possibility of that happening without you knowing about it.