Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have received an inheritance from my uncle who died recently,

Customer Question

I have received an inheritance from my uncle who died recently, the estate solicitors of my uncle have requested that i fill out a pior gift certificate stating what gifts or inheritances i have received from my parents or any other source i.e uncle/ aunt/non relative. Is it nessary to tell them what gifts i have received from my parents as this is threshold A and my uncles inheritances is threshold B. My uncles estate solicitor says its for the Form CA24
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My uncles was resident in Ireland as am i.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say that it is necessary to include all gifts received under all of Categories A, B & C of Capital Acquisitions Tax. The Revenue keep data on all beneficiaries so that they may tabulate how much of each threshold has been received by all persons in the State. It is part of the information gathering which the Revenue engage in. It is done here because each category has a lifetime exemption. So if you subsequently receive some gift or inheritance, the Revenue will quietly remind you of your previous gifts or inheritances. This has become a particular issue after some of the Tribunals because there were people receiving gifts as loans and avoiding tax.