Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was 3 months in a job and was let go, i wasn't allowed do

I was 3 months in a job and was let go, i wasn't allowed do the job i was employed for and was let go with no reason. Do i have any legal rights?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. I regret to say you have to be a year in employment before you can claim for unfair dismissal in Ireland. When you only have worked for three months, there is no claim for damages for unfair dismissal. Additionally, the law does not prescribe that you must do the exact job for which you were employed. Here, it appear as if they employed you for one purpose but the employer gave you different duties. Currently, the law does not interfere to require the employer to assign the tasks to an employee that the employer represented would be done when he employed the employee. I regret to say that the law adopts a "hands off" approach and allows the employer to assign the tasks he wishes to an employee, so long as he pays the employee. The bot***** *****ne is that you must be a year in employment before you gain many rights in Irish law. Before the year is up, you are protected against bullying or harassment, but the law does not interfere otherwise.