Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My UK based business is being accused by a ROI business of

My UK based business is being accused by a ROI business of corporate SLANDER. The accusation comes from comments VERBALLY made by a third party to the ROI business about comments I had made about the ROI business to the third party. The third party has since contacted the ROI business to withdraw the comments and has stated to them that they were never made. The ROI business nonetheless has contacted my business indicating a desire to pursue legal recourse. Do I have anything to worry about?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Any proceedings against you would be taken under the Irish Defamation Act. However, the clear issue in this case is one of proof. Do the Irish business have the means to prove these words were spoken. If they do, then there is a case for slander if the words were false. So, you need to assess whether the Irish business can prove the words spoken. If they do and they were slander, then you have a case to answer, I regret to say. Be aware that specific malice must be shown to gain damages for injury to your trade or business. So the Irish business must prove malice here if it is to get damages for loss to their business. Otherwise,t hey are just limited to general damages for defamation which will not cover any loss to their business.