Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My employer wants to change my working week which is now mon

my employer wants to change my working week which is now mon to fri to a mon to sunday inclusive rostered system. can they do this unilaterally
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Your position is stronger than you think. Before management can alter either the hours worked, they need the agreement in writing of the worker(s) affected. Otherwise you may make a complaint to a Rights commissioner and have the contractual hours reimposed. So the management cannot act unilaterally here. They need the agreement of the workers. Most likely, they will offer increased pay or different conditions in order to obtain the consent of the workers affected.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. However, you need to be aware that if an individual worker does not want to change his designated contractual hours, the management cannot force him to change. The worker either then continues with the existing hours or is offered redundancy if the management want to get rid of him or her.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. PLease RATE the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your question so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.