Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a father of a young girl who lives in Ireland and

Customer Question

Hello, I am a father of a young girl who lives in Ireland and will turn 18 this coming April. I live in the UK and have done since 1996. I have had a request from her mother asking for an extension of her maintenance payments for another 4 years while she attends university and has also asked for a contribution to her college fees. I thought that maintenance payments terminate when she would reach the age of 18. Is this correct, or am I obliged to do as her mother asks? Thank you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, I regret to say that the obligation to pay maintenance for a child under Irish law continues whilst the child is in full time education. The usual rule would be that maintenance would cease upon the child reaching 18 as then they have reached the age of majority. However, where the child is still a dependent beyond the age of 18, such as where they are a student, then the obligation to pay maintenance continues until the child has finished their education. So, I regret to say that you have an obligation to continue maintenance payments whilst your daughter is in full time third level education. Part of this obligation would also include contributing to her college fees and expenses.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.