Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My question is in southen irland my sister died and

Hello. My question is in southen irland my sister died and her house was left to three people what I need to know is in my sister will she had money left to people this was coverd with money in her bank due to unforeseen cercanstance there no money in bank, what I need to know when we sell house which in will was stated that three people do get the house and when sold money to go to theses people do we now have to pay these people in the will there money out of the house money that was stated in will is these people money I would like to know hope u can help thank you
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Leyla, if there is a specific bequest in a will whereby a house is left to three people and there is also another gift of money to different people, as here, there is no obligation on the people who have the specific bequest of the house to pay off the people who were given money if there is no money there. Essentially, a specific bequest of a house takes place irrespective of what happens to other gifts in the will. Just because there is no money present to pay people a gift of money does not mean that a different bequest whereby a house is left to three people is altered. A specific bequest, such as a house given to three people, always takes place. It is not affected by the failure of other gifts in the will. This is how the law applies in the Republic of Ireland.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.