Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I married second time. I paid /5 of the house

I married for the second time. I paid for 3/5 of the house we bought together . If we separate / divorce, am I entitled to that divide? Thanks
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, should your separate or divorce, I regret to say that all of both parties' assets are potentially up for grabs when a court makes a determination of what is "proper provision" for each spouse. Accordingly, whilst the starting point will be the initial ownership, whereby you own 60% of the house, this does not mean the court in making its order will alter this ownership ratio. Accordingly, whilst in law, each spouse only owns their own assets, such as your 60% share, in law, in making the court ordered "proper provision" on divorce for each spouse, this can change the ownership of any asset, including the house. So there is no automatic entitlement to this divide should you divorce (or separate).
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.