Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am in the middle of separation from my wife. It has been

I am in the middle of separation from my wife. It has been in progress for 2 years and I am due to make a statement of means next week, along with her, which will ultimately determine any maintenance.
Early last year my grandmother passed away and I inherited 40k. I used this money to pay back my sister who I had owed money to. She has since used this money to buy her own home.
Should I mention this to my solicitor or is it no longer relevant given that the money is no longer mine.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhich country is the divorce taking place in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Republic of Ireland
Then I shall opt out and Transfer you to the correct section
1. Money which has been inherited but which has been spent or dissipated is no longer relevant to your Statement of Means. Basically, your Statement of Means is a snapshot of your assets and income at a certain point in time. It does not deal with historical issues such as money you once had. So, just because you had more money once upon a time, this is not relevant. You simply set out your assets and income at a certain point in time. It would be different if you were deliberately dissipating your assets. However, where as here, there was a valid debt, there is no issue arising.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the bank statement showing the money in and out... Should I get a letter from my sister saying that the debt was owing and is now repayed or something to that affect
3. You are worrying unduly. There is no need to do any of this. The issue simply won't arise. Just ignore it.
4. There is an adage by Mark Twain who wrote Huckleberry Finn that "I am an old man now, and I have had a life full of troubles - most of which never happened!"
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed ;-)