Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am in the middle of separation from my wife. It has been

I am in the middle of separation from my wife. It has been in progress for 2 years and I am due to make a statement of means next week, along with her, which will ultimately determine any maintenance.
Early last year my grandmother passed away and I inherited 40k. I used this money to pay back my sister who I had owed money to. She has since used this money to buy her own home.
Should I mention this to my solicitor or is it no longer relevant given that the money is no longer mine.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhich country is the divorce taking place in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Republic of Ireland
Expert:  clairep80 replied 1 year ago.
Then I shall opt out and Transfer you to the correct section
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Money which has been inherited but which has been spent or dissipated is no longer relevant to your Statement of Means. Basically, your Statement of Means is a snapshot of your assets and income at a certain point in time. It does not deal with historical issues such as money you once had. So, just because you had more money once upon a time, this is not relevant. You simply set out your assets and income at a certain point in time. It would be different if you were deliberately dissipating your assets. However, where as here, there was a valid debt, there is no issue arising.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the bank statement showing the money in and out... Should I get a letter from my sister saying that the debt was owing and is now repayed or something to that affect
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. You are worrying unduly. There is no need to do any of this. The issue simply won't arise. Just ignore it.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. There is an adage by Mark Twain who wrote Huckleberry Finn that "I am an old man now, and I have had a life full of troubles - most of which never happened!"
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed ;-)