Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My name is ***** ***** I am an South African citizen who came

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I am an South African citizen who came to Ireland on a holiday to visit my parents and sister,While on holiday after speaking with my parents we decided that i should live in Ireland with them on a permanent basis. My parents are both irish citizens living in Ireland for the past 14years and my sister is also in Ireland on a stamp4 I applied for permission to remain in Ireland on the basis that both my parents and sister are living in Ireland and applied to the Immigration services and have been in correspondence with them since my arrival into Ireland.
After a couple of months they finally got back to me and refused my application. My parents have been sponsoring my stay financially and I have my own health insurance and explained my case that my parents are supporting me and have a job offer once my application is approved,also I expressed to them that I do not need financial assistance from the government and do not want to be a burden on the state and would like to contribute to Irish society once my application was approved.
Can I apply for permission to remain in Ireland based on the family reunification policy for immediate family members.
Hope you can help my current situation.
Please advice me on what I can do.
Brendon Tango
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there no problem I will wait for your response,thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 months ago.
1. Dear Brendon, how did your parents obtain Irish citizenship? Were they born in Ireland? Or did they get citizenship because one of their parents (your grandparent) was born in Ireland? Do you have a grandparent born in Ireland? How did your sister obtain Irish citizenship? Where were you born?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there my parents received there citizenship through nationalisation
2. Can you answer the other questions please. Do you have a grandparent born in Ireland? How did your sister obtain Irish citizenship? Where were you born? On what basis did your parents get a visa to stay in Ireland?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My parents arrived in Ireland 14years ago and received a work permit and became citizens through nationalisation my sister as well none of my relatives were born in Ireland
3. Dear Brendon, you will have to seek a visa on some ground such as a Critical Skills visa which is given to certain sectors of jobs, such as in Information Technology and Website Development. Alternatively, you will have to seek a visa based on some personal relationship, such as marriage or having an Irish child, in order to get a visa. Whilst the Irish Constitution guarantees certain rights to a "family" in Article 41, it does not grant these rights to adult children, only to dependent children. Accordingly, if you were under 18, you would be able to be reunited with your parents in Ireland, once you are above 18, these guarantees to family life don't apply if you are more than 18 years old. It would have been good had you applied when you were still a minor. Now, you will have to rely upon some other grounds in order to get a visa.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.