Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Good evening. My wife has 3 sisters (so 4 girls) and her

Customer Question

Good evening. My wife has 3 sisters (so 4 girls) and her father died recently, leaving all to his wife. The wife is not well, still lucid but going down. Presumably she should now write a will, or since her desire is for estate to be split between the 4 sisters at her death, does dying intestate make such a big difference? 3 of the sisters live outside of Ireland
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, you are correct that if the wife dies, then her assets will be divided equally between her children. So, if there are only the four girls, then each will receive an equal quarter share. In this situation, it makes very little difference whether the wife makes a will or lets the rules of intestacy achieve the same result. So, even if this wife is no longer of sound mind, the effect will be the same if she dies intestate. So, whilst it would be better if she made a will, in practical effect, it makes no difference if she wishes merely to divide her estate equally among her four children.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.