Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm hoping to get marry to my girl friend, shes korean and

Customer Question

Hi There
I'm hoping to get marry to my girl friend, shes korean and im british. What procedure do I need to take? check online but very confusing.
Many Thanks
Mark
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  T_Graham12 replied 7 months ago.

Ho

Do you live in the UK?

Tom

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi ThomasI live in Dublin. But im hoping to get register in UK.

Do you propose to live in Dublin once you are married or in the UK?

Tom

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have my restaurant business over here in dublin so we are going to live in Dublin.

Okay.

Where do you propose to marry?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im hoping in Aberdeen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Scotland
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats where im from

Ultimately, you will have to apply for the equivalent of an EEA family permit (a UK permit) under Irish law (not UK law) so I will request the question is transferred there.

However if you proposed to marry in Aberdeen then she woud have to apply for a marriage visit visa if you were not intending to settle permanently in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

Unfortunately, she would probably have to leave the UK and go to her home country in order to make the application for whatever Irish permit you have to apply for though.

I will request the question is transferred to Irish law and hopefully someone wil assist you.

Tom

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can she apply for british citizenship if we marry in ireland?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats why we prefer to marry in aberdeen so she could apply for citizenship once we married.

It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. The only way she would be eligible for UK citizensihp would be if you married on a fiance visa (different to my previous link), then switched to a spouse visa to live in the UK.

SHe would then have to remain living with you in the UK on this spouse visa for 5 years, then she could apply for "indefinite leave to remain" (permanent right to stay in the UK) and then apply to naturalise as a UK citizen by making a futher applicaition.

Tom

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she would need to apply for marriage visit visa after apply for a fiancee visa? how can she change from fiancee visa to spouse visa? also if we do decide to get marry in ireland would she be legally to live with me or not?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i would like to wait
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi just wondering do i get another answer or ill need to pay for another question?
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just close my question