Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have received a speed camera ticket in ireland. i am a uk

Customer Question

i have received a speed camera ticket in ireland. i am a uk citizen. am i obliged to pay it
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, I regret to say that since 2011, Ireland and Britain have recognised motoring fines and penalty points from each jurisdiction in the other. That means that the UK police can collect any fine which is owing in Ireland and they can also apply any penalty points picked up in Ireland in the UK. Accordingly, I would advise you to pay the speed camera ticket before it mushrooms into a court appearance and some penalty points in Ireland. These would then be recognised in the UK on your UK driver's licence. You are better off simply pay the fixed penalty speeding ticket in Ireland.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.