Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I recently changed from Media to Sky. I phoned Media,

I recently changed from Virgin Media to Sky. I phoned Virgin Media, indicating that I was
changing to Sky, for TV, Broadband and Telephone. I asked that the signal be disconnected on the 25/04/16, as Sky were coming to install their system. All calls to Sky are recorded and have acknowledged that I requested disconnection. However they have proceeded to bill me for not informing them in writing. I don't have any written contract with them, as Virgin Media only recently took over UPC. I believe that I fulfilled my obligation, when I rang them as per phone. Would like your opinion as to the legality of their rights.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****, the first thing to be aware of, is that in law, you have notified the other party to your contractual agreement, Virgin Media, that you were terminating the contract. Phoning them and informing them by phone was sufficient notification in law. If Virgin Media's Terms & Conditions require notification in writing this would constitute an Unfair Terms under the Unfair Contract Terms REgulations and Directive and so such a requirement would not be enforceable.

2. Essentially, by informing Virgin Media that you wanted to be disconnected on 25/04, you brought the service agreement to an end from that date. Their authority to bill your account for any further monies ended from that date. So, in essence, Virgin Media attempting to bill you subsequently is unlawful practice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for reply.

3. You should initially make a complaint to Virgin Media. However, failing satisfaction from them, you should look at making a consumer complaint. Here is a link which will help http://www.consumerhelp.ie/how-to-complain?gclid=CNLT8ejF7M4CFeMW0wodCmUBHw

4. Make a complaint to the Competition & consumer Protection Commission http://www.consumerhelp.ie/report-a-business

5. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.