Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How can I check my pension rights for years worked in the

How can I check my pension rights for years worked in the Republic of Ireland from 1979 to 1988?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Ireland has an intra-EU arrangement whereby if you have worked in any other EU state your time spend working in Ireland can be added to the years worked in other EU states to qualify for a full pension in that other EU state or in Ireland. So, if you have been working in the Uk you can add the years worked in Ireland between 1979 to 1988 to the years worked in the UK to qualify for a full pension in the UK. Additionally, Ireland has bilateral pension arrangements with Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Japan, Republic of Korea and Quebec whereby you can add the years worked in Ireland with those worked in the other country and qualify for full pension entitlements.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Here is a link to a webpage in the Irish Department of Social Protection where you can find out about pension entitlements in Ireland for having worked there from 1979 to 1988. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/State-Pension-Contributory.aspx. Be aware that because you paid social insurance contributions in Ireland, you are entitled to a Contributory Pension. YOu can add your years worked in Ireland to the foreign years and apply in the foreign country or you can add your foreign years to the years worked in Ireland and apply in Ireland. However, be aware that the EU rules provide that you apply in the country where you are resident for your pension.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help further. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not get paid for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was just what I needed!