Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My dad made a will and left family home to my son. Will was

Customer Question

My dad made a will and left family home to my son. Will was made in 2002.
My dad gifted the house to my son two years later in 2004.
Would this will still be valid?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

1. Dear *****, this will would still be valid. A will is not revoked merely because a person making the will disposes of one of their assets. A person such as your Dad, would have to revoke the will formally, or else, get married in order that the will be revoked and thereby be no longer valid. However, here, just because your Dad, subsequent to the making of the will in 2004, gifted his house to your son, this does not render the will invalid or ineffective. Obviously, any specific gift to your son of the house would no longer be effective. However, this does not affect the fundamental validity of the will.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. It's just what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Regards.
Mary
Expert:  Buachaill replied 29 days ago.

3. Dear *****, would you kindly please either Accept the Answer or Rate the answer using the buttons indicated at the top of the page. By not doing so, you are ensuring that your Expert gets nothing for answering your question as the website does not pay the Expert unless you Rate the answer.