Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

What are my rights to consultation with a solicitor and the

Customer Question

What are my rights to consultation with a solicitor and the information discussed by me not being disclosed to anyone else
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

1. Dear Gerard, where a solicitor engages in a consultation with a client, the solicitor then owes an obligation of confideniality to the client which precludes the solicitor from revealing to any third party the content and import of the matters discussed in the consultation. The duty of confidentiality is owed to the client and it is up to the client to waive that obligation of confidentiality before the solicitor can reveal anything of what was said or discussed to any third party. So, if you engage in a consultation with a solicitor the solicitor must not disclose anything discussed to any third party unless you allow the solicitor to do this. The idea is that the client should be able to freely discuss all matters in a consultation with his solicitor without any fear of that being disclosed.

2. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.