Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

His mother got tax cedits or (child benefit) in Scotland

Customer Question

His mother got tax cedits or (child benefit) in Scotland till she became a full time student last year.
I applied for them and got turned down on the grounds that I was not his legal guardian
I had confirmation of his school attendance and his birth cert.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

1. In these circumstances, you will have to get some documentation which shows you are your grandson's legal guardian. Be aware that if you cannot get any documentation, you can always make an application to the District Court in Ireland to be declared the legal guardian of your grandson. However, a Deed of Guardianship executed by the mother would normally be sufficient. It can be done by yourself and simply state that the mother hereby gives guardianship of her child to the grandparent. Be aware that under Irish law the mother is the person who normally holds guardianship rights but these can be given to someone else.