Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My father died in 2008. I was informed by my sister, whom he

Customer Question

My father died in 2008. I was informed by my sister, whom he lived with prior to his passing, that he did not make a will and only had enough saved to cover his funeral costs. How can I check if this is true.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

1. The simple solution to find out is to take out Letters of Administration to the estate of your father and to handle probate in relation to his estate. This Grant of Probate will give you legal authority to access any old bank accounts of your father and to write to institutions where he might have money and find out the situation.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

2. Essentially, this will quickly tell you if your sister is telling the truth. It will also tell you about his affairs and whether he had any financial resources.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

3. Be aware that once you have access to his bank accounts under the Grant of Probate, you will be able to see if he had any money in the run up to his death and to see what he did with it.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

4. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.