Italian_Lawyer
Italian_Lawyer, Other
Experience:  I am an Italian qualified solicitor and I am available to answer your Italian law questions.
66763543

I was a UK agent for an Italian Firm, selling their machinery

Customer Question

I was a UK agent for an Italian Firm, selling their machinery for over 20 years, I had no written contract, but now they have sent me an email saying they have appointed another company as their sole agents and I can no longer sell their products. they offer no compensation for my years building up their market in the UK, can they do this?
Category: Italy Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Italian_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

According to Article 1751 of the Italian Civil Code which implements EU law, if EU law the agent brought clients to the firm and if the firm still receives advantages from these clients, he has the right to receive a compensation for the agent building up the market.

The payment of this sum must be fair and must take into account all the circumstances of the peculiar case and, in particular, of the amount the agent was earning whe the agreement was into force.

The sum must be requested within one year from the interruption of the working relationship.

No matter if you didn't have any written agreement. You can prove your agency relationship through facts.

I hope this answers your question. If you are happy with my answer please do not hesitate to rate it positively otherwise I do not get compensation for my time.

I will then be available to answer all your follow-up questions.

A bonus is very much appreciated.

Best,

Tiziana