Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have problems starting my 1999 XK8 convertible/ All the dash

Customer Question

I have problems starting my 1999 XK8 convertible/ All the dash engine check lights appear and go off with no warnings given. When I turn the ignition key all I hear is a click. I have shorted the stater motor and the engine turns over but does not fire. I have a good battery and plenty of fuel. Any ideas.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE, Im happy to help / advise you on this...

When you say - "all the dash engine lights appear and go off with no warnings given".... what exactly do you mean there? ie, are you saying that you switch the key on...all comes on as it should, then you turn to the "start" position and all the dash lights go off ?

Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All the normal lights come and carries out engine checks. No warnings are displayed apart from hand brake is on. When Ithen turn the Wiley the lnormal indicators stay on and there is just a click from the passenger side.
Phil pankhurst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike

Many thanks for your response. I have left a message for you answer your question. It has been suggested to me that I should disconnect the alarm which is located front right of the engine bay. Do you precisely where it is located. It is apparently the size of an egg box and has a three wire connector. I have had a good look but cannot locate it. It is well hidden I presume to prevent potential thieves disconnecting it.

Look forward to receiving your thoughts.

Phil Pankhurst

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Phil..

Thank you for your reply -

First, my apologies have only just been able to get back to you -

Phil - I really dont see that that will be your problem.... and anyway, doing that would not cure this for you ,not with those symptoms.

Can you tell me if you have battery voltage at the starter terminals Phil - full battery voltage at the large one continualy and the same at the smallest terminal when the key is in the start position? If you dont know from your checks so far, can you check that for me and let me know-

Rgds, MIKE.................................