Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2005 2.7 SE diesel with 59016 miles on the clock .The

Customer Question

I have a 2005 2.7 SE diesel with 59016 miles on the clock .The car was bought with a years Platinum Warranty included .

On checking the service manual the ther were no stamps from May 2010 with a mileage of 54000. I rung the garage who told me they had in stock for 2 years which the transfer of a private plate confirmed.

I then had the car serviced at our best local garage (I live in a small fairly isolated Sussex town).

He told me that he didn't think the car had been serviced for a couple of years and there was no antifreeze in it, only water,

There are two problems with the car , I am unable to get more than 27.1mpg even in cruise control at 50mph on the motorway , the second issue is the loss of about 1 pint off coolant fluid every 200 miles.

The local man had the car for a few days and tried everything to force the leak to become visible, without any success until the car been running for a couple of hours even then a virtually undetectable leak on the passenger side but not reachable from outside so he couldn't say with any certainty where and why it was.I wasn't charged as he could not say he had fixed anything which is quite ok .He did say he had pressurised the system and tightened up the hose clips. It has made no difference.

I've been advised to go to a Jaguar dealership but unfortunately the nearest useable one
to us is a good 35 miles away.

I asked if a compression test had been done ,to check fo any small gasket problems he thought it unneccessary as there was no other sign of contamination, I expect he's fed up with the sight of the car by now !

The fuel consumtion is about 10mpg below what it should be 34-35 MPG for an auto.

and the performance is even and steady with no smoking.

Could anybody give some advice on what the problem is as I'm beginning to wonder if

theres a hairline crack somewhere though there is no sign of water running along the casing .

The guard plate was removed for testing it out.

I love this car and would like to find a way of getting the problems diagnosed.

I can't say if its been overheating as I bought it mid November 2012 and the weather

has been constantly cold , but I did notice today on a run that the temp guage was in

the middle which is higher than normal but not critically so.. If anyone can advise what

my next move should be to get it diagnose and what to do afterwars in various circumc

stances that may be, which is difficult until I have some idea what I'm looking at. For i

instance are cracked blocks repairable or is it mega-bucks for new parts.

I hope someone can help

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Richard - and Welcome to justanswer - UK Car..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help - advise you on this...

Before we progress with this Richard - you mention that you were told there was no antifreeze in the system - only clear water -

Can I just check - have you had any work done on the engine at all - of any sort?

Too - you mention the loss of coolant every 200 miles or so - and is that because the warn lamp comes on? or does the engine overheat at all ?

When does your warranty expire?

Please just let me know on the above and we can then progress..

When I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap thereafter... Please do not open up a new / or other question on this same subject or re list your question meantime... I will get back to you as soon as possible after you get back to me...

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

No there has no work at all been done on the engine other than an oil and air filter change the coolant loss is indicated by the red warning lamp overheating hasn',t occurred as yet. My Rac Platinum Warranty expires in November 2013 that is my only warranty.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm shutting down for the night now and of course I am perfectly happy to wait until you can get back to me

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Richard..

First, my sincere apologies that I could only just get back to you - Im afraid I had problems that meant I just could not reply to you until now , so I am sorry about that...

Ok, with this issue you have Richard, the coolant system issue is having a detrimental effect on the mpg -

You are losing the coolant - thats a "given".. and as you have been told, there is no sign of contamination - ie, oil in water and vice versa... but that doesn't mean there are no head gasket problems - in fact you are quite right in suspecting that as the cause... because what you have is either early stages of head gasket failure or head etc troubles - as external leaks have been ruled out - and too, the issue with the mpg. What is happening is, the leak is going into the cylinders and being blown out of the exhaust as you drive -and as its slight at present, there are no signs as yet.. though if inspected closely, you may find wet in the exhaust system - but it could be too soon for that... what is going through is boiled away with the heat of the cat and exhaust etc. But for you sure thats what's happening. So you should have a compression test done yes - but at the end of the day whatever is found, the signs are there to show you have a head gasket or head / coolant system / water jacket leak in the engine.

Again, it is early signs but it is happening so whatever is found on test, ultimately the head will have to come off the engine and be pressure tested for any cracks / fractures internally and the usual checks etc for the issues and then progress from there to cure this for you... So thats the way forward on this one Richard. I would suggest you may be better using someone else especially if the mechanic appears to have lost interest - and too, he should have known really that the issue will be as above... Let me know how you get on if you like but that thats the way..

Once again Richard - my sincere apologies for the delay in my reply..

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.