Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

MY 2002 X TYPE has a slight misfire after about 40 miles after

Customer Question

MY 2002 X TYPE has a slight misfire after about 40 miles after he engine ma light has come on it then it drives home ok. The neoprene seals have all been changed and the injectors cleaned out, but it continues to do it
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE, IM happy to help you with this..

Can I just confirm with you -

Exactly which engine do you have ? ( A full reg will be really helpful too )

What is the mileage on the car?

What is its service / recent repair history ? ( other than what you mention)

Has the problem only been here since the seals were replaced ?

I just also need to confirm exactly when the engine fault light comes on / goes off - and when you get the power loss in relation to that --

Rgds , MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

LN 52 ATY V6 2010 cc

I bought it at the beginning of the month. It showed a fsh

No it was very bad at first and thye garage did a smoke test which showed numerous leaks. Also I believe they changed the fuel filter.

The fault light comes on after about 30-40 miles and there is a chugging feeling for about a minute. If you stop the engine the light comes on again and the car is driveable

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David..

Thank you for your reply and info...

What you describe is typical of engine management issues, but they can be many and varied -

Will the engine fault light go off on its own accord or stay on until you switch off / on?

Too- have any actual diagnostic tests been carried out? If so, do you have the results of that?

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Light seems to stay on until cleared.

Dianostic test have showed lean o one set of cylinders

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David -

Thank you for your reply and info - that is very helpful.

Basically, that light coming on is telling you that the Ecu / Pcm ( computer ) has "seen" / detected the fault and has logged it as a fault / code.

What is generally needed then is to retrieve the fault codes with diag equipment - and then sort the fault going off the code. I dont have the actual code but from what you have said, lean mixture on one bank , is usually indicative if un metered air - false air registration etc - ( possible faulty air mass meter - sensor ...wiring to it etc and / or faults on the engine inlet side / manifold) to inc faukty lambda sensor/s.

Those are the common issues - I could tell you more if I had the actual code - but they should know off that anyway...

Other causes of that are pump timing / pump faults and or injector/s faults.

You can get me the code if you wish and I can look further at that but those are the common causes of the symptoms you describe thus far.

Of course if they are struggling - the next step would be to connect up diag equipment that is capable of reading Live Data - and drive the car until it occurs - that then picks up the fault there and then and it is a lot easier then to ID and fix.. ( Not all garages have that equipment - id needs be, if it came to that, you would have to ask if they have that - if not, you would need to use a different garage )

This all assumes the usual / service items have been dealt with - even clogging fuel filters etc can cause such odd troubles -

So thats the way forward on this one now..

Let me know if you need anything more though -

>> >> >> > Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.