Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I own a Jaguar 1999/2000 Jaguar S Type J103 VDU and am currently

Customer Question

I own a Jaguar 1999/2000 Jaguar S Type J103 VDU and am currently in Ireland. I have fitted the appropriate tow bar for a caravan on the rear and this works with no problems. Where I am currently having problems is with the electrical linkage. No matter what I do, I seem to lose the left tail and brake light of the car and whatever I do, I seem to be unable to get all the caravan lights, (rear, tail and brake) working together.

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Dr. Christopher Lester
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Which system do you have fitted the 7 pin standard.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

According to my mechanics, it is indeed the 7 pin standard

Chris

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Chrisopher .

Was the plug wired up as shown below .

Socket and plug wiring instruction

Wiring Diagram
12N Normal Socket
1) Left indicator
2) Fog
3) Earth
4) Right indicator
5) Right side light
6) Brake
7) Left side light

Whats very important is that the earths are 100%

When disconnected do the cars light work normally .
The earth points are critical, as said all it needs is for one rear tail light earth to be bad .
Have this all checked and then get back to me if needed .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I am assured that the wiring is correct according to your diagram. The mechanics have connected the caravan to another vehicle (Transit Van) and all the lighting, indicators, brake lights appear to work correctly.

Until yesterday, I would have said that all lights on the Jaguar are working properly. Yesterday evening however, I noticed that when pressing the brake pedal, the warning "Left Tail Light has failed". This may just be the work the mechanics have done while trying to work out the problem.

A suggestion was made by one of the men that we need an accessory or box that goes in the line to advise the computer of the changes to the lighting when the caravan is plugged in.

Hopefully, this additional information helps.

Best wishes

Chris

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Hi .

Chris connect yourself up to another trailer and see if you are having the same problem,
If not then you have a wiring issue with your trailer ,
If you do then the wiring from the Jag is not connected correctly .

if the garage has a test box to check the cars fitting will make it easier, if not try another trailer or caravan.

This why you will know where the problem is coming from ,The car or the trailer .

Do this then get back to me .

you will need this relay . Please click here if not fitted .

Regards Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess that the problem s at the car end - the caravan has been tried with at least three other vehicles and no problem has appeared with the lights of the caravan.

To give a little additional information, I am travelling as a manager and consultant with an Irish Circus and moving every two or three days. We are currently in the south west. The mechanics who manage the big trucks and trailers as well as the other caravans are the ones assisting me. They have no test boxes.

I have read your contact about the TEB7AS relay and sounds that I need this. But where can I obtain one in Southwest Ireland when I can't give a fixed address?

Thanks for your help so far - I will keep you advised as to what is happening.

Chris

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Chris .

This you will have to order online as to where you could get this in Ireland is a good question .
Maybe at a Caravan dealership if there is any in your area.

When you have the bypass relay fitted then this should sort out your problem .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've ordered the part on line and am having it sent for collection at a post office next week.

I'll keep you advised as to progress.

Chris

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Chris .

All the best ,Greg.

Rgds Greg