Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

S Type 2.7 Diesel Auto on 07.After leaving car for a few

Customer Question

S Type 2.7 Diesel Auto on 07.
After leaving car for a few days, on start up "Park Brake Fault" appears but there is not an obvious fault.
Disconnect Battery for 1 min & all ok till the next time left. If keep using car everyday no problems.
Also occasionally get "Gearbox Fault" appears, cured by switching off & taking ign key out.
Any help please.

Chad53
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE- Im happy to help / advise you with this..

Can you please tell me what checks / tests you have done in regard to these issues?

Too - what is the cars service / recent repair history ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I've not done any checks/tests just that when the warning appears there is no apparent fault, the park brake holds when applied & releases as it should do.

If I leave the car for 2/3 days that's when it happens but last week it happened after 1 day. It appears fine at the moment. To solve the problem I disconnect the battery and reconnect again & this solves it but obviously I then have to do all the initial start up applications, foot/hand brake, radio, clock & windows. Although not a problem an inconvenience really.

There are 40k on the clock & has been serviced at all correct times according to the service book the last being last June when I had the car. No other repairs have been necessary.

Chad (John xxxx)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long before I get an answer?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Chad -

Thank you for your reply... My sincere apologies for the delay. Im afraid I have had system issues which have meant I have just been totally unable to get back to you -so I can only apologise for that ..

Ok - because of the dealy - please just tell me if you have done anything meantime.... and then we can progress..

Too - please tell me the mileage on the car-

Best Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only thing I do is disconnect the battery & reconnect this solves the problem until the next time I leave the car for a couple of days.

The mileage is 39800 miles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Glad I didn't take my car to a garage this many hours would have cost a fortune.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Chad -

Im sorry - I have only just received your replies. Normally we would get notification straight away - but I just got the two at one - just now. So I can only apologise, it must have been a system issue Im afraid... It does happen to be honest , but rarely - thankfully!

Ok - let me get up to date on this - Can I just ask, have you had any plug in tests / checks done at all / any results / fault codes from that ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE..

* I will keep this question open so that I can manually keep an eye on it... once again, I can only apologise for the delays you have had.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't taken it anywhere I just get the message, disconnect battery & reconnect

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

Ok - well - that really is the next step ... but can I just ask ..how often is it doing this / putting the message up?

Rgds - MIKE...........................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As previously stated if I leave it 2/3 days. If I use the car everyday it doesn't happen

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for that -- I just needed to be sure as it can affect the way forward.

Ok - as regards XXXXX XXXXX issue - there are known issues with these that sometimes result in the need to replace the EPB module - but there is a proper re calibration procedure that I will give you - Its worth carrying that out before any tests etc are done as that will save time and expense...

The procedure for this is then as follows for you:

Jaguar S-Type Electronic Park Brake (EPB) Re Calibration Procedure 2003 ON . S-TYPE . Issue: On some 2003>on... S TYPE vehicles, a customer may report a concern of premature parking brake pad wear or the brakes binding or the fault light coming on. This condition can result if the electronic park brake (EPB) system is not re-calibrated after the removal of the rear brake callipers to replace the brake pads or at any given time.

Action:

1. Reset the EPB module: a. Switch off the ignition. b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Reconnect the battery. 2. Start the engine. 3. Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times. 4. Confirm that the message “NOT CALIBRATED” or “APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE ” is displayed on the instrument cluster message centre. This indicates that the parking brake is in calibration mode.

5. Lightly press the foot brake pedal. 6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch. 7. Release the parking brake. 8. Release the foot brake. 9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument pack and that the“NOT CALIBRATED” message is no longer displayed in the message centre. 10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

All being well that will cure that - but if not, or it comes back, then a physical check of the brakes for sticking etc and condition will need to be carried out before any other tests are carried out - that then being plug in diagnostic tests .

As regards the "Gearbox Fault" - that is quite a different circuit - The transmission should be physically checked for fluid level and contamination -and if necessary, the fluid changed and flushed...inc filter cleaning. Anything around 80k miles this is often needed. Further- the wiring / connections etc to the transmission TCM and sensors should be checked carefully for any issues. If that does not cure the issue there - then plug in diagnostic tests for the transmission ie,. TCM - Transmission control module, need to be carried out to further this and correct the issue.

Let me know if you need anything more..

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.