Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi I have a 2003 jaguar x type 3.0 auto when i select reverse

Customer Question

hi I have a 2003 jaguar x type 3.0 auto
when i select reverse there is an electrical burning smell
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I will wait until the end of the day
If no answer by the end of today please refund the fee
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. Sorry for the delay due to the time zone difference. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im sorry to see you have had a wait...

Please tell me exactly what has been checked so far for this issue -

Also - if any recent work has been done on the car ...

Too - do you get any warning lights come on at all?

Lastly - when you say this happens when you select reverse... is it at the actual selection ...or after you have started reversing...?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Nothing has yet been checked nor has there been any recent work done.

there are no warning light on.

The first time I noticed quiet a strong electrical burning smell I was actually reverse parking, nothing when moving forward even at slow speed. When I parked the following day (reverse) I noticed a faint smell. However nothing since and I have reversed a number of times.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again ,

Thank you for your reply & info..

If this is an electrical burning smell - the only thing that would feasibly cause that would be if wiring is being moved onto the likes of the exhaust or some other hot part of the systems...and you then smell the insulation burning.

If you are sure thats what it is - electrical - I really do recommend that if you can check it physically yourself , or if you have to have a garage involved, then the sooner the better either way. Such does happen and what then happens is eventually the wires burn through and it causes further issues. To be honest, its usually the o2 ( exhaust ) sensors that tend to catch on the exhaust / manifolds etc - and its just the actual movement - the reverse thrust of the car as it were - that causes the cables to catch in that way... It could be forward - its just that yours is in reverse.

Its hard to know from here quite what else would cause an electrical burning smell - I was thinking that if it was smells as you moved - you may have had exhaust fumes coming back at you -from a fault with the exhaust ..even a slight leak that can leak fumes - but not make noise, can do this -- thats why I was asking what type of smell it was...

It would be best really to have this on a ramp -and with the brakes secured - select the reverse gear and then the garage mechs can watch under the car as the car takes up the drive - they will see exactly what is doing what - if its doing as I suspect ...or indeed whatever is causing this, they should see- That would be the best way to trace the cause of this down for you.. Let me know how you get on - but I do think you will need it on a garage ramp to check for this / cure this as above.... Most any small type garage can do this for you - you shouldn't need to use a dealer, so that will be quicker etc for you too -

The other thing that cause burn smells is for the sound proofing under the car to move when a gear is selected and drop / move / touch the exhaust - Again, they would be able to see this happening checked as above....

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.