Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my manual gears have just gone none at all just revs

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
hello

if you have no drive in any gear and the gear lever still feels like its connected then this sounds very much like broken clutch

sorry to say that the gearbox is going to have to come out to inspect it

The easiest method is to drop the entire front subframe with the engine, box and front suspension all still attached as one unit.

Undo the strut top mounts to release them from the body

you'll need to remove the exhaust, undo the gear linkage, fuel pipes, throttle cable, water hoses, engine electrics and engine intake pipework

Remove all the big subframe bolts securing it to the body and then lower the whole assembly down, This is possible at home if you've a crane or a couple of large trolley jacks but its far easier on 2 post lift

A regular garage would tned to need about 8 hours to do the work and parts cost is about £300 for a complete clutch kit