Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Hello, at my wits end, my local garage has had my XF for the

Customer Question

Hello, at my wits end, my local garage has had my XF for the past 3 weeks. White grey smoke from the left exhaust only. engine sweet, no oil leaks exhaust gas valve ok nothing shows on computer either all show a1 good. still left hand smoke! kind regards, rob
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for using justanswer.com.

I will do my besyt to assist you with this issue ,Jag is not my catagory but i know the engine which is used in the land rover and some Fords .

What is happening on this engine is that the cylinder head gasket has most likely blown
letting coolant into the cylinder causing the white smoke ..or the inlet manifold has a slight gasket leak.
Have the coolant system pressure tested and do a combustion leak test for exhaust gases in the cooling system ..Smoke will smell sweet .

Other cause for white gray smoke can be caused by .
Low engine compression on one side .
Low fuel pressure possible injectors on one side causing a problem .
And the most common the EGR valve .

Ask if the shop has checked these possibility's .

Swap the injectors from one side to the other and see if the smoke changes sides .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg