Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

i have an stype jaguar 1999 3.0 fault codes coming up are p1386

Customer Question

i have an stype jaguar 1999 3.0 fault codes coming up are p1386 and p1388.when start vehicle from cold hunts but once warm clears up.have changed all breather hoses,oil and filter changed and flushed engine.have you got any ideas on a solution?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .Thank you for using justanswer for your automotive problem .

The codes you have is a problem with the VVT system .Variable valve timing solenoid.

This will be the left bank passengers side if you have a RHD ..

If you have a volt and Ohm meter we can check this or if you have to have this done at the garage let them know that the VVT is your problem on the left bank..

This is a electrical issue or the valve it self needs replacing .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i do have a multimeter can u tell me how and what readings i should be getting from solenoid and wiring .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did you get last msg

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Costas..

Here is how to test the system .

With ignition OFF disconnect the VVT then measure resistance between VVT solenoid terminals. resistance should be 5-20 ohms if not replace the solenoid ..

Turn on the ignition but don't start .Measure voltage between ground and VVT connector green / white wire should have 10 volts plus if lower repair power supply circuit ..

Pull the PCM harness connector check continuity of white /pink wire betwen the VVT harness connector and PCM harness connector, continuity should exist then repair the short to ground in the wire, if no continuity replace the PCM..

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, can you tell me what the readings should be on the white /pink wire when the engine is running on the vvt

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Costas

That information i don't have,sorry ,

Greg