Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi There I have a late 2004 S Type 2.5 V6 Sport auto with

Customer Question

Hi There
I have a late 2004 S Type 2.5 V6 Sport auto with the ZF6HP26/28 auto transmission. I have experienced the dreaded transmission 'clunk' followed by the 'gearbox fault' light on the dash. When I stopped the car, turned off the engine and re-started, the light extinguished itself and the car drove perfectly. several days later however the problem reappeared again.
My local Jaguar dealer has said that the electronic control module needed to be re-programmed. This has been done and I have been told to drive the car carefully for about 300 miles or so and not to use the 'sport' mode in order to let the new settings 'bed in'. Is this normal and what are the chances of this happening again? The car has only done 35,000 miles.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.