Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

what should the residual current usage from the battery be

Customer Question

what should the residual current usage from the battery be after everything is switched off and doors are closed
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all interior lights are off including the glove box light & boot lights, the security system will be taking power but I would expect it to be considerably lower. this load of 0.4A is approximately equivalent to a 5W bulb which would completely drain a brand new 100AH battery in 10 days. The current drops to 0.09A when I pull the fuse for the 'Body Control module'. What other info do you require?

Thank you for getting back to me and providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What information do you require?

Thank you for your patience, no further information is needed at this time. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The reading with everything off and the battery sitting stationary should be between 0.8 and 10.0 amps. With the reading at 0.4 the battery likely has a dead cell.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you sure about this, the battery wont last long with a 10 amp draw off whilst parked up?

It's closer to 8 but can be 10.