Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

how to open the boot when button ceases to open it ?1998 x

how to open the boot when button ceases to open it ?1998 xj8
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

there should be a key hole in the boot panel to allow a manual release of the boot?

also double check that the valet button isn't depressed as this prevents the boot from being opened

if you get it open and the light inside is on all the time then check the switch at the back of the boot hinge - if this has been damaged then the remote release won't work as it uses the light switch to determine if the boot is open or not and won't bother to fire the actuator if if thinks the boot is already open
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

valet button not the problem. key does no good .I feel the only way would be to go through rear seat somehow. Regards phil.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Phil

sorry to say that the fuel tank and a big steel bulkhead is in the way - there's no way into the boot via the back seat

What is possible but very fiddly is to remove the number plate and then use some thin hooks made from coat hanger wire to reach into the boot through the number plate screw holes to pull the boot latch

some people go further than this by using a hole saw ( 1"Ø or so) to cut through the panel under the number plate and then use a rubber grommet afterwards to seal it
as this is then covered by the number plate

then once you're in check out the state of the boot light switch as I've mentioned

and a common modification is to attach a cable to the interior boot release tag so it can be accessed / pulled from inside the car or under the bumper
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Matt I will give it a try speak to you later Regards Phil

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem Phil

good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt, I drilled through the boot and opened as you said.when I lock the car it remains faulty so I guess it needs a new censor. anywaymany thanks for your help so I can rate you "ok service". Many thanks, Phil

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that Phil

if you could use the rating function to complete the service
as I can't rate myself Smile