Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

jaguar x type 2.1 litre,auto 82.k.miles, owned by self from

Customer Question

jaguar x type 2.1 litre,auto 82.k.miles, owned by self from new,changed gearbox oil 5 weeks ago, BIG improvement in changes,black oil out, plug change at 65 k miles ,full service history.problem is with engine, after driving at 60 or 70 mph for approx.40 or 50 miles engine starts to stutter and lose power,I press throttle down one inch engine slows down even more, car it is now struggling to maintain 25 mph,if i ease ofthrottle there is a surge power which fades away, look for a lay-by, engine is idling at 650 revs,can blip throttle no problem, try to drive, pick up from engine is sluggish,call green flag ,15 to 20 mins.it arrives,XXXXXto a Ford Dealer, they wipe the engine warning sign of dash, pick up car in morning never mentioned what the engine fault was, drove 185 miles home. 3 days later 50 miles into trip same problem no G.Flag - too much bother, stuck nose of car into a 50 knot breeze to cool engine 15 mins.,cool engine,warning engine block sign on dash drove 90 miles home, 500 meters from home same symtoms starts again. no problems on short trips 10 -12 miles, fault has occured 3 times.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd start by getting in touch with thet ford delaers to find out what the fault code has been that they keep wiping off as from your description this sounds like an engine not transmission fault

From your decription this could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I see that its been a while since I posted my answer

do you need any more infomation?