Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my 2002 x-type has regularly flashed "high engine temperature

Customer Question

my 2002 x-type has regularly flashed "high engine temperature and cruise control switched off" When checking none of this is actually occurring. On two occasions my jaguar dealer has carried out a diagnostic check and found nothing. They said if it could be checked during an actual occurrence it might help them identify the problem. Obviously this is unlikely as the fault does not manifest itself to order. Any suggestions?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that the cruise control is siwthced off as soon as there's an engine fualt

so I wouldn't worry about that one too much

So I'd concentrate on the false high engine temperature signal

as a 1st course of action I'd replace the coolant temperature sensor and check over the state of the sensor wiring and check the major loom connections in the engine bay for corroded pins

also check the state of the small ring terminal earth connections onto the engine block and head, as these are the ECU specific earth points