sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

I have a 2008 X-type with 2.2 diesel engine. The Glow plugs

Customer Question

I have a 2008 X-type with 2.2 diesel engine. The Glow plugs warning light is occasionally flashing when the car is in motion. According to the vaguely worded handbook this may indicate an engine malfunction but this seems to be OK....or is it about to pack up??
What should I do?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The glow plug lamp does serve as an engine management warning light on this model. When a fault occurs that is detected by the engine management then depending on the nature of the fault the engine usually loses power or cuts out completely, a fault code will also be stored in the engine management control module memory.

The reason for the light flashing can range from a fault with the turbo position sensor, fuel system fault to an error with any sensor or actuator.

The first option is to get the fault codes retrieved from the engine management and then depending on the code decide on a course of action. any garage can do this for you so the cost is minimal. If it is a fuel pressure fault then if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced recently it would be good practice to replace this. If there is a turbo sensor fault there are companies that can repair the actuator rather than having to replace the turbo an example is www.ecutesting.com

The problem at the moment is until you get the fault codes you can't tell if there is a concern that will make the engine cut out.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.