Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Jag X type SE auto, reg. 07 09 2002, 2099cc, petrol. There

Customer Question

Jag X type SE auto, reg. 07 09 2002, 2099cc, petrol.

There is a (what I can describe) as a low 'grumble' sound, as all speeds coming from the front. It seems to get loader when turning right. Does not seem to be from the engine. Can you help..............
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you...

From what you describe, this sounds very much as though you have a wheel / hub bearing that is failing - they go dry / wear over time - and you get the rumble you describe.

The noise is accentuated too on cornering - and on the opposite corner ( ing ) will decrease as load / vehicle weight is applied on the corner ( or taken off, on the opposite corner )

So you need really to have the car jacked up - or on a garage ramp with the wheels off the ground... Spinning the wheels as fast as you can should produce no sounds.... a worn wheel bearing will be highlighted by a hum or noise from within the hub / centre of the hub / wheel where the bearing is.. renewal is the answer to that as they cannot be repaired or re greased on these models.

Now- I note you say this appeared to start after tyre renewal.. There is a small possibility that this noise could be coming from the tyres - but its very rare... Even so - I would suggest have a word with the tyre suppliers and have them physically check the tyres ( and bearings ) for you to get to the bottom of this....

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime,

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.