Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My model is a 1996 xj 6 executive , it has electrical prob

My model is a 1996 xj 6 executive , it has electrical problems and is difficult to start , when I press the fob doors open but flasher warning lights do not function , interior lights do not come on , when key is turned all lights on dash come on but engine does not crank . The car will start if I remove battery leads and secure them together for 10/15 mins then replace leads everything it will then start but very shortly after moving off interior lights flash on and off and indicator on dash shows as though there is a door open but there is not , after journey once engine is turned off it will not start again unless I go through the whole routine again of dissconnectiong battery ect. I have replaced the BPM but problem is still there can you please advise , thank you Brian XXXXXXX

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Brian,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If no answer to my problem by the 11th February , please refund my payment , thank you , Brian XXXXXXX

Please advise if and when this happens

Hello Brian,

Thank you for getting back to me. I will continue to search for a Professional to assist you. However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I Will let you know if no answer by the 11th Feb. , thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see you have had a wait , Im happy to help you with your issue -

First I need to ask - what exactly is the "BPM" you refer too... that you have replaced?

Too - do you have any plug in diagnostic results at all - and if so, what are they?

Also - please give me its Full reg number so I can verify which systems this one has ( they have different systems )

When I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Reg. No. P 369 MSX

BMP. Body Processing Module. Part no LNA2500BB001

Nothing showed up on the diagnostic test, Jaguar company thought it might be the BMP but after this was replaced fault still there.

Saturday night no rain Sunday very dry and windy tried to start the car around 2.30 pm started perfect, tried on 4 further accasions that day over a period of 8 hours it started every time. Sunday night no rain

This morning Monday 9. 30am tried car it started, 10.30 am slight rain storm. Tried car 12.30 pm car it opens with fob but would not start. As before no hazard lights flash no interior lights come on all lights on dash but when key is turned nothing! Tottaly dead.

My tel no is XXXXXXXXXXX or XXXXXXXXXXX if you wish to talk.

Regards Brian

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Brian -

Thank you for the reply / extra info.. thats very helpful.

Re the BPM - I asked because people call them different things and we may have been on a total wrong track!

Can I just ask further now ..

The BPM - was that a "new" one fitted - and was it programmed ?

Too - you say, today - after the rain - you have no hazards - no interior lights etc.... when the car does operate as it should... as above - do you have the hazards and interior lights / as you should...?

Lastly - when you say, "key is turned - nothing, totally dead "... Do you mean... no engine turning -- ??

If so - do the dash lights dim at all when you turn to the start position...?

Too - what is it like if you use the spare key set / is it the same?

Lets look at that above Brian, then we'll carry on... I cant speak with you by the way Im sorry - justanswer prohibits that... you will see the "bot" has blotted your phone number ...

So let me know on the above - I will be back later today / eve and get back to you then -

Best Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On every attempt to start the vehicle sunday afternoon - evening , pressed the fob hazzards flash and interior lights come on and the car ujnlocks when all this happens the car will start , when it does not happen the car will not start..

Dash lights do not dim !

tried the spare set same results

The BPM was used but in working order

Jaguar fitted the part so asume they programed it.

Yes I mean no engine turning.

Saga continues , from trying the car at 12.30 today and would not start,

I thought the battery may be a bit flat so I put it on charge , I had not used the car since last Friday, but had tested it many times since to see if it would at least start.

I have tried the car twice since the battery charger was connected and its working correctly , hazzards and interior light comes on when I press the fob , I don`t have to see if it will as start this is the indicator that it will now start .

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Brian -

Thank you for your reply - My apologies that I couldn't get back to you last eve ..

Thank you for all that info - that does clearly clarify things for me - I have to ask as I cant be there of course..

Your problem then appears to be security system related... as that would give exactly the symptoms you describe - ie, the flashers dont flash when they should etc -and the engine will not turn.. (thats why I need the clarification there on that )

Now -where in the security system is the issue... Assuming the Bpm is indeed all ok, the the next area to check is inside the drivers door. In there you have whats called the DCM - door control module and this coupled with the actual mechanisms/ wiring / contacts etc control the security / immobiliser system when you unlock ( and lock ) the car with the fob - eg.. when you activate the fob, if there is a fault in there- you will get the symptoms you describe. Plus - its quite common to get rain water in there - and that can be causing this - so it has to be checked. The wiring to , to the door where it comes from the car body to the door through the link tube should be checked for any water in there or damage to the wires -which is a common issue.

If no faults are found there, then a careful inspection of the wiring / connections etc inside the door needs to be carried out.. As the fault is intermittent its often difficult to pick up on a diagnostic check - but if it could be worked so that it happens on test / diag plug in tests - that would pick up just where in the system this being caused.. Again inside the door ( or any of the others, but the drivers door is common )..or the security system module itself ( or of course, any wiring / connections issues in between)

So thats what has to be worked through on this Brian - Im sorry there is no quick fix for this - ie, it will be this / that ... but it will be in the areas Ive mentioned... Its a case now of tracking it down to cure it.

If you could perhaps arrange with the garage to have the car to check it diagnostically periodically, until it "happens" for them - that would save a lot of "checking"... but otherwise, it is going to be a case of manual checking as above - but again - one way or the other, you will get to the bottom of it this way...

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike ,

a sugestion from many was fit new battery , new battery fitted starting now no problem only issue now is interior lights keep flashing on and off and light on dash shows all doors open and that keeps flashing ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your message -
Im really glad to hear that Brian - I have to admit though - I would have though the dealer having worked on it / doing the checks etc , would have picked up on that / checked on that - but anyway !... ;)

In that case now - that (issue) would usually be down to a fault with the micro switch on the inside of the door in question - usually drivers door... That will be why the interior light is flashing on / off - and the doors open light is on... that switch is what controls that.

But do just check the wiring of course to that - and be sure the door is actually closing as it should...

Again -its often the drivers door - of course could be any unless the Doors open light is specific...

Let me know how you go Brian..

Best Rgds, MIKE.