Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi - got adoor locking problem with my 2004 XJR (350). Passanger

Customer Question

hi - got adoor locking problem with my 2004 XJR (350). Passanger door lock became stuck during the week with the interior handles pointing inwards. When I tried unlocking the car I could hear the locks opoerating in the car but the door remained locked. Drivers door was fine.Whilst trying to see what was wrong and how to get the door panel off with a locked door , the drivers door started to cycle through the locking cycle and is now also firmly locked (had to climb out the window!) I can't now open any doors (boots fine ) although I can hear various noises from each door. I tried disconnecting the battary in the hope that would work and tried power onto the delivery relaywire( brown and white) in the boot which I understand provides power to the door lock without going through the fuse - problem feels mechanical ( as if the locks are out of sync) rather than electrical.

Any ideas ?

Gordon
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this issue -

Your fault here is more likely than not, broken or damaged / shorted wires on the passenger door circuit..

Often this occurs on this model where the wires come from the car body - through to the door through the link tube - or, just inside the car body - or door. So you need to be checking there as above for these issues.

When you get this it will cause exactly as you describe - When you get a short in the wiring like this , movement etc will cause erratic power throughput, and cause the locking system to cycle as you have... In fact, if you "fiddle" more with it as you were doing, you may well be lucky enough for it to cycle and unlock the drivers door - at which point you can open it , to stop it locking you out ( or in ) again..

You can get mechanical issues with the locking mechanism as well - if its not a wiring fault as above, then thats often what is the cause ( other than a faulty locking module in the door ).... But in any event you need to get that door panel off - which as you say is not at all easy with the door shut - but it has to come off .. Once its off - you can manually trigger the mechanism to open the door - then deal with it as above to get this sorted / fixed.

Im sorry there is no easy fix to this - that is the way forward as above on this one now.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.