Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My x type diesel will not go into gears with engine running

My x type diesel will not go into gears with engine running sometimes but can go through the gears when switched off then when re started May go into gears and drive fine.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE.. Im happy to help you..

Please tell me - was the concentric cylinder - and the DMF / flywheel replaced at the same time?

Too - was this why you had the parts changed you mentioned - or did the car have other clutch related faults / slipping etc?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply Mike. I did have a new clutch fitted six months ago and had a standard clutch and flywheel fitted instead or the duel-mass flywheel arrangement due to the difference in cost. This arrangement has seemed to work fine and my mechanic suggested that we try a new master cylinder when this new problem arose but it doesn't seem to be the answer. What do you think Mike. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David -

Thank you for your reply...and further info..

I can understand fully why you opted for the block / solid flywheel conversion David - but its becoming more and more an issue as time goes on. Without going into great detail ( unless you wanted me to ).. but the reason for the fitment of the DMFs - ( dual mass wheels ) was to cut down not just vibration through the car - but stresses on the diesel engine.. We see many times and more and more, with the conversions , over time, physically stressed / vibrated apart or damaged , clutch plates etc - and even broken crankshafts in the engine etc... So - really while its tempting -and actually very common - its not always / really a good move..

Looking at the situation you describe - you have done all that can on the outside - ie, the master cylinder - because all else, the concentric slave cylinder -and of course the clutch main components, are inside the bell housing. That means David, that the next move now, has to be to check it out - ie, you have to remove the transmission and physically check/ visually check to find what the actual fault is - thats causing your problems. Obviously its the clutch not engaging etc properly when you cannot engage gears- the question is why.. and that can only be answered - and sorted as above Im sorry to say...

So that has to be the way forward now David to sort this out. Im really sorry there is not easy fix to this. Something -is amiss inside the bell housing with the clutch / flywheel assembly... it has to be physically checked now to found just what -and then go from there.. Again - Im sorry this is not good news - but thats the way forward now to get this cured for you ---

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...I'm always happy to help more as and if needed -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Mike. Bearing in mind that I can engage all of the gears freely without the engine running hopefully I haven't done any damage to the gearbox as yet. Would I be right in saying that your best advise would be to fit an original DMF clutch unit ?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David..

Thank you for your reply.

Honestly, I don't really think that there will be any gearbox damage – you would be very unlucky – but I wouldn't have thought so.

As for the dual mass flywheel/clutch assembly – honestly again, yes I would recommend changing it back. I know of course that there are many of these solid flywheel conversions around and at their inception they seem to be because of price , the best thing since sliced bread.... But as I alluded to earlier, there are many many cases of damage caused to the engine by way of literally snapped crankshafts damage to clutches in themselves brought about by the vibration of the diesel engine by its very design ( that's what the dual mass flywheel's are designed to prevent ).. And yes even damage to the gearbox. But damage to the gearbox in this case I am talking about cause my vibration from the engine so again I don't think you will have that problem ... Yours is an actual clutch mechanism / flywheel fault.

I hope that all helps you further David – do let me know how you get on and if I can be of any more help I will be only too happy to book to do so..

Best Rgds, MIKE.