Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

if the wheels spin in wet weather I get a gearbox fault prompt

if the wheels spin in wet weather I get a gearbox fault prompt come on, it goes off when ignition turned off but will come on again if wheels spin. only get problem in wet weather
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

Basically this will happen in the situation you describe - because the transmission is "winding up" - so the TCM - transmission control computer sees this happening - sees the fault - and will put the fault light on. It will clear as you switch off - because you kill the power to the Tcm - and it will stay off - until or unless it happens again. So that in itself is normal - basically the issue is more why the wheels are spinning. Is it very slippery roads - ice / greasy surface etc - or, bad tyres etc.. or just that you can physically make them spin - as one could with that motor.. Obviously if its the latter , then you don't really want to be doing that. If its tyres and such like, that would need further investigation. But the "system" is working -as it should as you describe it, there are no faults there.

So thats the way forward on this one now .. Let me know how you get on..

Meantime ,

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks mike,

thought that might be problem but wanted to make sure. just so much water about this year with all the rain.

paul